HC DrugFree’s 2023 Film Festival Category
The 2023 HoCo Student Film Festival was held at the Miller Library at 7:00 p.m. on Friday, May 5, 2023.
Play the winning film in the HC DrugFree Public Service Announcement category, Don’t Do Drugs, Live for Hugs, created by Alyssa Collins from Centennial High School with acting provided by her sister Makalya Collins.
HC DrugFree thanks the dedicated Howard County Public School System advisors.
Visit HoCo Film Fest YouTube channel to view many of the Film Fest films entries in previous years.
More info about the 2023 category:
The 2023 film submission deadline was: April 11, 2023. Target audiences can include (but are not limited to): Parents/guardians or grandparents of middle school students, school staff, and other adult community members not familiar with these items, etc.
Warning: Do not violate any school policies when shooting a video. Please work with school staff or contact HC DrugFree’s staff.
The theme of the HC DrugFree Category is:
KNOW: Kids Nurturing Others Wisely. This category was chosen to showcase ways that teens can encourage one another through mental health challenges, dealing with peer pressure, or how to avoid substance (drugs, alcohol, nicotine) misuse.
“In the KNOW” is one of HC DrugFree’s larger parent-education campaigns, so filmmakers should be familiar with that campaign before creating videos (click on “In the KNOW” on HC DrugFree’s homepage at www.hcdrugfree.org).
HC DrugFree PSA category submissions requirements:
- • Please be sure that HC DrugFree is spelled correctly and doesn’t include additional spaces. HC DrugFree really is our legal name. Please do not get creative with our name and be sure spellcheck doesn’t incorrectly edit a space between Drug and Free.
- • A cover screen with HC DrugFree’s logo along with a catchy description about your specific PSA topic.
- • Submissions must include a closing screen with HC DrugFree’s logo and contact information (www.hcdrugfree.org, 443-325-0040, and Admin@hcdrugfree.org).
- • The names of the student video team members should appear on the next to the last screen and include school(s).
- • Videos can be as short as 30 seconds or as long as 2 minutes. Do not exceed 2 minutes. The time does not include the final cover screen with HC DrugFree’s logo and contact information. Be sure to allow that final HC DrugFree contact screen to remain visible for at least 10 seconds, but no more than 30 seconds.
- • Because this is a public service announcement, if HC DrugFree’s logo and contact information is missing or not correct, the video will be disqualified from the contest, but after the contest, HC DrugFree may request edits and use the video
Email HC DrugFree’s Executive Director, Ms. Joan Webb Scornaienchi at Admin@hcdrugfree.org to request the logo or for more information. HC DrugFree’s staff is available to answer your questions, so when in doubt, contact them. Good luck!