Molly, a form of MDMA or ecstasy, can cause fatal reactions

By Susan Berger, The Washington Post

 

In high school, Shelley Goldsmith was a student council president and tennis team captain. She’d won an academic scholarship to the University of Virginia, had raised money for the American Heart Association and baked cupcakes for cancer patients when her dad was going through chemotherapy.

The Abington, Va., teen also loved music. In August 2013, Goldsmith, then 19, attended a rave concert at a club in Washington where she took some Molly, a popular recreational drug. After a few hours of hard dancing, she collapsed. She died several hours later at a hospital.

A purified version of ecstasy, or MDMA, Molly is commonly thought to be a safe drug, and it has been popularized by such singers as Miley Cyrus, Kanye West and Rihanna. It produces a high that users say allows them to dance tirelessly, be more open and uninhibited emotionally, and experience euphoria and heightened sensory awareness. The Drug Enforcement Administration says no other drug is quite like MDMA, creating amphetamine-like energized feelings and mild mescaline-like hallucinations. (Click here to read the DEA Fact Sheet about MDMA.)

Read More

"Can We Do More?" Community Asks After Concert Deaths

When two concertgoers died and others were hospitalized during an electronic dance music festival on Aug. 1 at Columbia’s Merriweather Post Pavilion, many local community members wondered whether these deaths could have been prevented.

Two young men, ages 20 and 17, died after attending the festival, while 19 others were hospitalized. Police suspect most of these cases involved the club drug known as Ecstasy, or “Molly.” Howard County police said 50 people were cited for underage drinking at the concert, as well.

The deaths, widely publicized locally and nationally, left many people asking: “Are we doing enough to keep young people free from drugs, including alcohol?”

Read More

‘Molly’ Drug Glamorized by Stars, Spreading Fast Among Young People

By Linzie Janis, ABC News

An old drug with a hot new name is being blamed for two deaths at a New York City dance festival this holiday weekend, forcing an early end to the event.

Molly, as it’s now known, is a form of Ecstasy and is being linked to a recent string of overdoses.

Promoters shut down New York’s multi-day Electric Zoo music festival after the deaths of two young people. Police said 20-year-old Olivia Rotondo and 23-year-old Jeffery Russ died after taking Molly. Four others are in critical condition.

Read More